- 10 December 2018 10:24
Wodonga School Transforms Education with Brightspace to Empower Every Student
Melbourne, Australia – December 10, 2018 – D2L, the global learning technology leader, today announced that Wodonga Middle Years College has transformed the way it delivers education so that every student can capitalise on the opportunities of equal and flexible education from anywhere at any time.
Located on the Victoria-New South Wales (NSW) border, WMYC introduced D2L’s Brightspace learning platform as the foundation for personalised, mobile and consistent learning experiences for its 800 students. Inspired by its motto – ‘every student, every opportunity, success for all’ – WMYC selected the platform to reach every learner, from all socio-economic circumstances, cultural backgrounds, and stages of learning.
“We model our pedagogy on engaging all students in the best ways possible amid what might be perceived as adversities as a publicly-funded school in rural Australia,” said Steve Fouracre, Assistant Principal at WMYC. “Brightspace is the mechanism through which we have modernised learning by giving people access to the world. The interactive and customisable platform has helped us provide learning in new ways – both within the classroom and beyond – so every student can develop skills relevant to their future pathways and careers in the modern and digital world.”
• Using Brightspace, WMYC has created a personalised learning environment that encourages continuous engagement through Microsoft Outlook, Dropbox, YouTube, active links, interactive tools and more. As a result, students can develop their knowledge and skills so they are better prepared for life after school.
• Through a unified platform, WMYC has created consistency for students in both its campuses to eliminate variations between classrooms. It has also extended its curricula with new subjects, including programs and electives for early access to specialised studies.
• Brightspace provides comprehensive learning from anywhere at any time, making it the ideal mobile solution to complement WMYC’s one-to-one Apple iPad program. As a result, WMYC promotes learning beyond the confines of the classroom to yield the best possible outcomes for students. Today, 50 per cent of learning through Brightspace by WMYC students is from a mobile device.
• WMYC’s learning environment has seen substantial uptake and positive feedback from both students and teachers. WMYC reports the platform is being consistently used by 100 per cent of the student population.
• As well as driving the learning experiences of students, Brightspace has fostered a culture of ongoing professional development and learning for WMYC’s teachers. Within the learning platform, staff are part of professional learning communities, and have access to resources that help them expand their own skills, and therefore further boost outcomes for their students.
“Perceptions about the state of education – both in Australia and abroad – continue to be plagued by traditional notions of what the school environment looks like,” said Mark Yaxley, Regional Director Australia and New Zealand at D2L. “WMYC’s investment in transforming learning experiences is an example of what education can be, including the possibilities that come as a result of reform. Having underpinned its framework for learning with Brightspace, the school has not just overcome geographic and societal challenges, but engrained principles of the contemporary economy – equality of accessibility – to reach every learner, and truly engage and excite students in their educational journey.”
D2L’s Brightspace is a cloud-based learning platform that makes learning easy, flexible and smart. Brightspace is not like a traditional Learning Management System (LMS) it is easy to create engaging courses and content, integrate video, personalize learning, capture and share expertise across the organization, and supports all mobile devices. Plus, Brightspace enables the future of learning with adaptive learning, intelligent agents, course interactives, full support for competency-based learning and world-leading learning analytics. Our clients report improved productivity, performance growth, lower turnover of employees, greater engagement and ultimately better business outcomes.
D2L believes learning is the foundation upon which all progress and achievement rests. Working closely with organizations globally, D2L has transformed the way millions of people learn online and in the classroom. Learn more about D2L for schools, higher education and businesses at www.D2L.com.
Twitter: @D2L © 2018 D2L Corporation
The D2L family of companies includes D2L Corporation, D2L Ltd, D2L Australia Pty Ltd, D2L Europe Ltd, D2L Asia Pte Ltd and D2L Brasil Soluções de Tecnologia para Educação Ltda.
ALL D2L MARKS ARE TRADEMARKS OF D2L CORPORATION. PLEASE VISIT D2L.COM/TRADEMARKS FOR A LIST OF D2L MARKS. ALL OTHER TRADEMARKS ARE PROPERTY OF THEIR RESPECTIVE OWNERS, REGISTERED IN THE U.S. AND OTHER COUNTRIES.